September 30, 2018
Dear PC3 Family,
This week our Elder and Leadership Teams made the decision for Billy and Kim to take a much-needed and long overdue Sabbatical effective immediately to last through the end of the year. A sabbatical is an extended period away from church leadership and all ministry related responsibilities for rest, spiritual rejuvenation, and renewal. It is not a vacation.
Why a sabbatical?
Below are some statistics from Barna Research, Focus on the Family, and Fuller Seminary to help you understand the importance of sabbatical rest for pastors and their spouses:
- Almost 1500 pastors leave their ministry positions each month due to spiritual burnout, moral failures, or issues within the church.
- 80% of seminary and Bible school graduates leave the ministry within the first 5 years.
- 70% of pastors constantly fight depression.
- Only 1 out of 10 pastors retire as a pastor.
Billy and Kim have invested heavily for 23 years in leading our church, building relationships, serving in ministry, and loving people. This last year has required even more energy from Billy as the only pastor on staff. It is because they have poured their lives out for us without being able to truly take a time of rest that our leadership has made this decision and is acting swiftly. They are the exception to the statistics above and we want to help keep it that way!
As you may know, we have been praying and searching for another pastor to add to our staff to help continue to lead our church forward. God has answered our prayers. Mike Adler and his wife Nikki will be coming on board in the next few months. God’s timing is perfect! We are trusting that this time of rest for Billy and Kim and time of transition for Mike and Nikki will result in a fantastic start to what God has in store for PC3 in 2019.
Please lend your support in the following ways:
- Pray for rest, spiritual rejuvenation, and renewal for Billy and Kim, as well as, wisdom for pc3 leadership during this sabbatical period.
- Pray for Mike and Nikki as they begin the process of transitioning from their life in South Carolina and prepare to come to Palm Coast.
- Have an attitude that is supportive of this biblical principal, the leadership that is carrying it out, and of our new pastor and his wife.
- Give to support this time of rest by donating to the “Wight Sabbatical Fund” online or at the Connections Center.
In closing, we want to share some reminders of how God has used Billy and Kim over the last 23 years. Billy and Kim are the ONLY pastor and wife team to lead a church here in Flagler county for 23 years. They have participated in baptizing over 1000 people. They have been instrumental in starting new churches, growing new leaders, and mentoring local pastors and their wives.
We thank you for your support and pray God’s blessings as we continue to love God, love people, and live it out in the middle of sabbatical rest and transitions.
Giving Information: mypc3.com/giving
Please don’t hesitate to call the office if you have any questions or email email@example.com